Steve Akers, Senior Fiduciary Counsel, Southwest Region, Bessemer Trust, has made available for download his extensive summary of the 2015 Summer ACTEC meetings on the Bessemer website. The abstract for Mr. Aker’s full report reads as follows:
The 2015 ACTEC Summer Meeting was held in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada on June 17-20, 2015. A summary of my observations from the seminars at the meeting is available on the link below.
A special extended seminar was titled “The Migrating Client.” The program included separate panels addressing various topics including:
- A statistical analysis of interstate migration patterns;
- Residency and domicile key factors;
- Domestic substantive non-tax issues;
- Debtor and creditor issues;
- Non-tax choice of law issues for clients who move in or out of the United States;
- Tax considerations for individuals moving between states; and
- Multijurisdictional practice (and unauthorized practice of law) issues.
Another extended seminar addressed estate planning considerations for clients with treasured art or collectibles (including practical advice from representatives of some of the major art auction houses).
Download full report at: Bessemer Trust
Posted by Lewis J. Saret, Co-General Editor, Wealth Strategies Journal.