Same-Sex Couples Can Now Obtain Green Card for Spouse

After the decision in U.S. v. Windsor, same-sex married couples are now eligible to file for their spouses to receive green cards. Length of a marriage is a factor that often works against many same-sex couples with newly granted rights to marry. With that in mind, couples petitioning for a green card should keep several things in mind.

Submitting timely petitions with supporting documentation is crucial. Also, staying consistent throughout the process and interviews in terms of facts and circumstances of the relationship is very helpful. The process can be a long one and consulting with an immigration lawyer who specializes in the process may prevent missing any steps and prolonging the process.

See Ronald Shapiro, “How to Sponsor Same-Sex Spouse for Green Card,” JDSupra Business Advisor (December 10, 2014).

Posted by Ryan Moore, Associate Editor, Wealth Strategies Journal