How to Get a Free Copy of Past Tax Return from IRS

For many reasons, people need a copy of their past tax return information. The Internal Revenue Service provide some tips on how to obtain previous tax return information. A tax return transcript, which has all the information a lender needs in most cases and shows most line items in the tax return, or a tax account transcript, which shows any adjustments made, can be obtained online, by phone or by mail, without charge. For online order, you can go to the IRS website, use the ‘Get Transcript’ tool and view and print the copies of the transcript. Or you can call 800-908-9946 to get a copy. Actual copies of a tax return are also available by mailing Form 4506 to request a copy and pay 50 dollars per copy.

For more information, see

Posted by Jin Keol Park, Associate Editor, Wealth Strategies Journal